19 March 2009

Democracy in the class

I will be a Math teacher, and it’s one of the most difficult subjects in the school and university. Because usually a lot of students think that: “I’m stupid for the Mathematic”. Therefore the teaching method is not so easy, because students have a lot of stereotypes about Math.
The question is how I teach this subject in a democratic way, because the students do not think that we are in a same level?
Fist we need to see which are the tools, that a democratic teacher uses:
- Respect each other
- Discussion of the problems
- No bulling
- No stress
- Feedback
- Circle
- Evaluation
- Work together with students/parents/colleagues
We discuss a lot with the classmates about these questions, and theories, but see what I use in every day in my lessons what is working:??
- Feedback
I think it’s very important for a teacher, especially for a Math teacher, because to understand and explain Math is not so easy and similar for every student. Therefore the student’s feedback is needed for the teacher. When I ask feedback, my students write the opinions in a paper without names, and they evaluate our work. I learn a lot from these feedbacks.
- Same rights
If they want, they use mobile, and eat or drink during the lesson. It’s free for everybody, like for me too. It is interesting that it is enough this knowledge that they can do whatever they want, because usually nobody does it.
- Exams
I think a very good feedback for the students if they write exams, because they know what they know, and what are those things that they need to learn better. A lot of students don’t like the exams, but our students want to write it, because they know it is for them!
- Common goals
In the first lesson we discuss a lot about why we are together. And this time we decide what we want to do, and what our goals are. Therefore, the learning is not a pressure for my student, it’s a possibility and they will be more after the course.

That’s it. I hope I will be better for the teaching, and the students who meet with me think that: "I understand the Math, and it’s not so dangerous, like I thought!"

No comments:

Post a Comment